first_imgDefense officials will start to form a task force to study the business case for consolidating the military’s three exchange services and the Defense Commissary Agency, after Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan this week approved a memo laying out the next steps for a possible merger of military resale activities. Shanahan said he agrees “a single consolidated organization offers the greatest potential to achieve the economies and efficiencies” that are necessary to ensure commissary and exchange benefits survive, according to the memo.The task force is scheduled to complete its analysis by Oct. 31, at which point it would begin planning for consolidation, reports Military Times. If the DOD chief management officer approves the business case, the team would complete integration planning by Jan. 31, 2019, and the consolidation would begin under existing authorities. Lawmakers would be afforded input into the decision, however, under an amendment to the House version of the fiscal 2019 defense authorization bill.Photo by Michelle Bir Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

first_img Originally published June 6.Updates, June 7: Adds more details about doodles for the Women’s World Cup. June 11: Adds more doodles celebrating the Women’s World Cup. Comment 3:40 Culture Tech Industry Tags Share your voice Now playing: Watch this: How Google made a Doodle game Google is celebrating the 2019 Women’s World Cup with a series of doodles representing each of the competing countries.  Google As the US Women’s National Team prepares for their first match in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup on Tuesday, Google is celebrating all the teams in the tournament with a series of doodles.The latest homepage banner represents work by artists of six different countries: Chile, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Thailand and the US. Teams from each of the countries are competing Tuesday, and Google says the doodles portray a distinct message about what the tournament means for each artist and their country.Chile artist Luisa Rivera said the World Cup means “teamwork, passion and determination” to her, and Netherland artist Eline Van Dam said she wanted to show how the game “connects people all over the world.” Google kicked off its first World Cup-themed doodles last Friday to mark the start of the tournament.2019-womens-world-cup-day-1-5386703364161536-2xGoogle kicks off the FIFA Women’s World Cup with a doodle. Google “Each Doodle will capture the local excitement of the World Cup competition as well as what soccer means to the guest artist personally,” Google said. You can see the full list of 24 artists, one for each country in the tournament, in Google’s blog post. Google has already featured doodles celebrating several of the teams competing in the World Cup.On day two of the World Cup it featured: China, Germany, Nigeria, Norway, South Africa and Spain.  Google On day three of the World Cup if featured: Australia, Brazil, England, Italy, Jamaica and Scotland.  Google On day four of the World Cup it featured: Argentina, Cameroon, Canada and Japan. Google The Women’s World Cup started Friday with a match between host country France and South Korea. This year marks the eighth FIFA Women’s World Cup conference, with the first in 1991. Google also said soccer fans will be able to use Assistant and the search app to follow real-time match updates. While the Google search app will let you subscribe to team updates, Assistant can answer specific questions. If you’ve got an Android phone, you’ll be able to follow up to three real-time scores on your home screen. You can also use the Google News FIFA Women’s World Cup interactive tracker to browse highlights. And YouTube will show highlights as well as behind-the-scenes moments. Google Doodles are temporary versions of the tech company’s logo on its homepage to honor holidays and historic occasions. Earlier this week, the company featured an interactive timeline celebrating 50 years of gay pride. 1 Google Assistant Googlelast_img read more

first_imgVolkswagen may offer VW owners in Germany discounts on new cars if they turn in certain old models affected by the emissions scandal that has rocked Europe’s biggest carmaker, German news agency DPA reported on Sunday.Volkswagen is battling the biggest business crisis in its 78-year history after admitting last month it installed software in diesel vehicles to deceive U.S. regulators about the true level of their toxic emissions.The company has said it would recall around 8.5 million diesel vehicles in Europe that contained such software. The special offers would be available only in Germany, where around 2.4 million of the vehicles to be recalled were sold.Incentives for VW owners to buy new vehicles could help ensure that sales remain stable after the scandal and take pressure off VW dealerships to implement fixes quickly.Each German dealership will have to handle an average of 1,100 recalled vehicles, each of which will require at least an hour and a half of work, DPA said. That could result in a long wait for customers.The offer of discounts for new car buyers may focus on the owners of vehicles with 1.6 litre diesel engines, sources at Volkswagen and VW dealerships said, according to DPA. Those models need hardware changes, a more costly upgrade than the software changes needed for other affected vehicles.No decision had been made on the matter yet, DPA quoted a person familiar with the matter as saying.Volkswagen said in response that it was common for Volkswagen and its dealers to consider special offers for existing customers.last_img read more

first_imgRajnish KumarYoutube screenshotTackling bad loans will be a priority for India’s largest bank, said newly minted chairman of State Bank of India, Rajnish Kumar, addressing his first press conference since the appointment was announced late on Wednesday.Reuters reported Kumar as saying that SBI had tackled issues that came as a result of merging five subsidiary banks into itself earlier this year and would see asset quality numbers “looking much better”.SBI, which accounts for more than a fifth of India’s banking assets, has seen bad loans rise after following the associate bank mergers.Kumar, who is set to take charge of the bank as Chairman on October 7, replaces Arundhati Bhattacharya, who implemented major reforms during her four years at the helm and became one of India’s most high-profile executives.Kumar informed that post amalgamation of the five associate banks and the Bharatiya Mahila Bank with SBI, the latter so far has merged a shade under 1,000 branches with nearby branches and there may be 200-300 branches more that will be merged. A major part of the branch merger process has been taken care of.Reviving credit growthReviving credit growth and resolution of stressed assets will be top priority for SBI, Rajnish Kumar said.Digital transformation so that the bank is ready for the future will continue to get attention, said Kumar, who is currently Managing Director (National Banking Group), SBI, in a conference call with the media on Thursday.The Hindu reported Rajnish Kumar as observing that India’s largest bank is in the process of revamping HR, including skills development, performance improvement, and succession planning, in a major way.”SBI is systems and process driven…I will be reviewing (in the next 30 days) all the action plans (short-term and long-term) which are already happening in the bank — what is working, what is not — and what is the course correction that is required,” he said. The new logo of State Bank of India (SBI) is pictured at the podium of the venue of a news conference after the announcement of SBI’s fourth quarter results in Kolkata on May 19, 2017. REUTERS/Rupak De Chowdhuri/File PhotoReutersRegarding the RBI’s proposal to link lending rates with external benchmarks, Kumar said the benchmark rate should apply to both assets and liabilities. He said, “It cannot be a one-sided affair… any change in the methodology should ensure that the pricing of the loan product and liability product will have to move in tandem.”He emphasised that the margin (net interest margin) needs to be sufficient to cover credit costs. SBI is all for transparency in the pricing regime of loans, Kumar said.last_img read more

first_img.At least five people including three pedestrians were injured as a wall of Bangbandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) collapsed on Wednesday afternoon.The identity of the injured could not be known immediately.The injured are being treated at the BSMMU. Out of five, one is under treatment at the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital.Director of the hospital brigadier general Abdullah Al-Harun told Prothom Alo that a boundary wall in front of car parking area of Block-C collapsed in the afternoon.  He said three pedestrians, an ansar member and a nurse were injured.One of the injured, who received head injuries, was being treated in the ICU of the hospital, the hospital director said adding four others were also admitted in the hospital.Abdullah Al-Harun, could not give the identity of the injured.Deputy commissioner (Ramna division) of police Maruf Hossain Sardar said a team of Shahbagh police station was despatched to the spot.last_img read more

first_imgbclRuling Bangladesh Awami League’s student wing Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) has conducted raids in several student dormitories in search of Bangladesh Islami Chhatra Shibir activists.During the four-hour long raid beginning from Sunday night in different dormitories of the Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology aka CUET, the student organisation had also detained five activists of Islami Chhatra Shibir although they managed to escape from the ruling party activists after four hours of detention.The university authorities have called the BCL raid in their dormitories unwarranted.Sources in the BCL said a group of BCL activists belonging to the group of CUET unit BCL president Syed Imam Baker, launched raids in different rooms of the Shahid Mohammad Shah Hall around 9:00pm Sunday when they heard that Shibir organised an iftar programme at the mosque of a dormitory of the university.During the raid, the BCL activists detained five students — third year students Parvez Mosharraf and Abu Nayeem Mohammad Noman, second year students Md Tahir Talha, Md Ibrahim and Mahamudul Hasan Arif from the hall– and they were taken to Bangabandhu Hall.Acting on a tip-off, Bangabandhu Hall provost Kazi Delowar Hossain, assistant provost ATM Shahjahan, Shahid Mohammad Shah Hall provost Mizanur Rahman, the university’s student welfare director Md Mashiul Haque rushed to Bangabandhu Hall.CUET unit BCL president Syed Imam Baker went to the dormitory.The university administration took written statements from the five students detained by BCL activists around midnight and the students admitted that they were involved in Islami Chhatra Shibir politics.During the BCL attacks on Shibir activists, the activists of ruling AL’s student wing snatched away four laptops, five cellphones, one USB device and several books from the Shibir activists.The university authorities escorted the five Shibir activists to Shahid Mohammad Shah Hall later around 12:30am. At this stage, the entire campus of the university plunged into darkness due to power failure and the five Shibir activists escaped from the campus.BCL activists again started launching attacks on Shibir activists in various university dormitories when they heard that the five Shibir activists escaped.When contacted, Syed Imam Baker told Prothom Alo that they launched the attacks so that Shibir activists cannot create any chaos on the university campus.University’s students welfare director professor Mohammad Mashiul Haque said the five students should not have been picked up without informing the authorities. “And conducting raids in different dormitories is unwarranted too.”He said the university authorities have formed a four-strong investigation committee led by Electrical and Computer Science Faculty dean professor Koushik Deb.The probe body has been asked to submit its report within seven days.last_img read more

first_imgThe Central Intelligence Agency is able to permanently infect an Apple Mac computer so that even reinstalling the operating system will not erase the bug, according to documents published Thursday by WikiLeaks.In its second release allegedly from the CIA’s arsenal of hacking tools, WikiLeaks also said that it appears the US spy agency has been able since 2008 to insert it bugs onto new and unused iPhones by intervening in Apple’s supply and distribution network.The release follows the initial publication on March 9 by the anti-secrecy group of thousands of pages of instructions and code from what it called the entire CIA arsenal of hacking tools.The documents are generally believed to be genuine although the CIA has not acknowledged this.The publication of the documents sparked a US counterintelligence investigation into how the documents leaked out from the CIA and made their way to WikiLeaks, with some people pointing fingers at the agency’s use of private subcontractors as a likely source.The newest documents focus on how the CIA targets Apple’s popular personal electronics to spy on users.They show the CIA developed a tool in 2012 called “Sonic Screwdriver” that can hijack an Apple computer’s password-protected boot process from peripheral devices like adapters and USB drives.By doing so, they can inject a undetectable bug deep into the computer’s essential firmware that will not be erased even when the computer is reformatted.The manual for the “NightSkies” bug shows that the CIA developed it in 2008 to be implanted physically in brand new iPhones.”While CIA assets are sometimes used to physically infect systems in the custody of a target, it is likely that many CIA physical access attacks have infected the targeted organization’s supply chain including by interdicting mail orders and other shipments,” WikiLeaks said.The documents provide a glimpse into the workings of the CIA. One showed the agency urgently trying to adapt NightSkies to a certain Apple laptop.The agency “has the opportunity to gift a MacBook Air to a target that will be implanted with this tool,” one 2009 document said.”The tool will be a beacon/implant that runs in the background of a MacBook Air that provides us with command and control capabilities.”last_img read more

first_img © 2012 Phys.org Journal information: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Very early human ancestors are believed to have eaten mostly fruits and insects, a trait they shared with most modern apes. At some point however, as the climate changed, our ancestors shifted their diet to include grasses and sedges. Previous evidence had shown that a Paranthropus boisei hominin had existed by eating mostly plants, but carbon dating had shown that individual to have lived approximately 2.8 million years ago. The A. bahrelghazali tooth fossils in this new study are from 3 to 3.5 million years ago, pushing back the date that our ancestors came down out of the trees and began eating C4 grasses, though it’s not clear if they were eating actual grass blades or the roots and tubers that support such plants.A. bahrelghazali stood approximately five feet tall (similar in size to modern chimpanzees) and walked on two legs. It also had a projecting jaw with powerful muscles and large teeth that enabled it to grind plant material to aid digestion. During its time, the part of African where it lived was covered with lakes, floodplains and wooded grasslands, which would lead quite naturally to a change in eating habits if a pattern of living on the ground as opposed to trees developed.Grasses and sedges are generally high fiber foods that also have complex starches and some even have tissue that also offers nutrients, thus, A. bahrelghazali would have been able to survive on such a diet despite not having evolved a sophisticated plant processing digestive system such as that seen with modern cows.The researchers acknowledge that because there is so little fossil evidence to work with, it is possible that the carbon levels found in the tooth fossils came from eating animals that consumed C4 plants, but thus far there is no other evidence to suggest that was the case. Citation: Researchers find human ancestors switched to eating grasses earlier than thought (2012, November 13) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2012-11-human-ancestors-grasses-earlier-thought.html Explore further More information: Isotopic evidence for an early shift to C4 resources by Pliocene hominins in Chad, PNAS, Published online before print November 12, 2012, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1204209109AbstractFoods derived from C4 plants were important in the dietary ecology of early Pleistocene hominins in southern and eastern Africa, but the origins and geographic variability of this relationship remain unknown. Carbon isotope data show that Australopithecus bahrelghazali individuals from Koro Toro in Chad are significantly enriched in 13C, indicating a dependence on C4 resources. As these sites are over 3 million years in age, the results extend the pattern of C4 dependence seen in Paranthropus boisei in East Africa by more than 1.5 million years. The Koro Toro hominin fossils were found in argillaceous sandstone levels along with abundant grazing and aquatic faunal elements that, in combination, indicate the presence of open to wooded grasslands and stream channels associated with a greatly enlarged Lake Chad. In such an environment, the most abundant C4 plant resources available to A. bahrelghazali were grasses and sedges, neither of which is usually considered as standard great ape fare. The results suggest an early and fundamental shift in hominin dietary ecology that facilitated the exploitation of new habitats.Press release When African animals hit the hay: Fossil teeth show who ate what and when as grasses emerged This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. (Phys.org)—An international team of researchers has found evidence that suggests a human ancestor – Australopithecus bahrelghazali – was eating grass plants almost a million years earlier than most scientists had thought. In their paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the team says carbon dating of tooth fossil samples found in Chad indicate early hominins had been dining on a diet heavy in plants that contained 4 carbon atoms (C4), which are typical of grasses or sedges.last_img read more