first_img20 February 2007The Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) is driving job creation in the Western Cape by ensuring that its staff are trained to meet industry requirements.According to a new report commissioned by the CTICC, 2 343 people were directly employed in the province because of the centre during 2006, a figure that is expected to rise to 3 636 in 2007. The centre was also responsible for 3 058 indirect jobs in 2006, expected to increase to 5 102 in 2007.Approximately 1 500 casual staff members have worked at the centre since its inception, with some 600 staff being employed at any one time. On average casual employees remain with the centre for 16 months – working in the areas of catering, operations and maintenanceThe CTICC and the Federated Hospitality Association of South Africa (Fedhasa) jointly conducted the report, which looked into the training of current and past casual staff in the three years since the centre began operating.According to the report, the centre’s training programmes bring employees up to internationally recognised standards, and several previously unskilled casual staff members have gone on to permanent positions elsewhere in the industry.“Each year about a third of our casual staff are new faces, replacing the third or so who go on to find jobs elsewhere in the industry,” says the centre’s managing director, Dirk Elzinga. “As many as 78% receive training at the CTICC.”According to the report, one in four companies in the hospitality industry have employed, or currently employ, staff with CTICC experience. Seventy-two percent of all hospitality employers also said that working experience at the CTICC was an important factor on an applicant’s CV.“We also had very positive feedback from hospitality employers towards people with working experience at the CTICC,” says Elzinga.To increase the career potential of its casual staff, the centre is implementing a training programme incorporating a Passport to Success, outlining the disciplines in which the casual staff member has been trained. The “passport” will serve as a reference and be recognised by other hospitality employers who participate in the project.“The CTICC passport will make the training and skills more tangible for people in terms of finding a new job when they leave the centre,” Elzinga says.SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

first_imgWhile the family of Jhansi resident Pushpendra Yadav has alleged that he was killed in a staged encounter, the police version has come under further question after conflicting statements were issued by two district police officers.According to the statement by Jhansi Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Om Prakash Singh, on October 5, the night of the incident, the Station House Officer (SHO) of Moth, Dharmendra Singh Chauhan, was returning to Jhansi from Kanpur in his private car after a two-day leave, when he received a call from a local, purportedly Pushpendra. The person on the other end of the phone asked him to meet him at an intersection, said the SSP.Mr. Chauhan was “alone” and in plainclothes, said the SSP, adding that as soon as the SHO stopped his car and rolled down the window to look around, the accused fired at him.Doesn’t tallyThe SHO’s description of the incident, however, does not tally with this. Talking to the media from his hospital bed, where he is recovering from injuries allegedly suffered during the encounter, Mr. Chauhan says he had gone out from his police station for patrolling and checking duty on the night of the incident. He said he was accompanied by a constable, Saurabh, and both of them were in a private car. “At the Bamrauli intersection around 9 p.m., a person waved [at us] and I stopped the car. He came close and pulled out his country pistol and fired,” said Mr. Chauhan, not mentioning any phone calls.When asked if he was returning from his leave, as stated by the SSP, the SHO said he had returned from leave the same day and gone out for patrolling. The SHO claimed the accused shot and fled with his mobile phone and vehicle.Additional Director General of Police-Law and Order P.V. Ramasastry said the allegations levelled by the family of the deceased will be included in the investigation of the alleged encounter. A magisterial probe has been ordered to probe the incident.Mr. Ramasastry said the post mortem done on the body would also be a part of the investigation, but when asked if the SHO was on duty during the incident, he ducked the question.last_img read more

first_imgThe weather deceived England skipper Joe Root again after his move to bat first in the fourth Test backfired. England were bowled out for 246 on Day 1 as the Indian bowlers wrecked havoc. India in response scored 273 and thanks to Cheteshwar Pujara’s unbeaten 126 the visistors took a crucial 27-run lead on Day 2.England reached 6/0 at the close of play on Day 2.The weather is expected to stay the same at least early in the day on third day (Saturday) with some cloud cover providing the Indian bowlers the perfect chance to return the favour to their England counterparts.At the start of play on Day 3, the temperatures will be around 17 degree centigrade and the sunny intervals will have the batsmen needing to just ride out the first session. As the day progresses, batting will become easier as the temperature will rise but never over 21.There is little to no chance of rain on Day 3, with the conditions being similar the following day as well. It is expected to be cloudy on the third day of the 4th Test (UK Metoffice Photo)Moeen Ali spun England right back into contention on a fluctuating second day of the fourth Test with five wickets as India slumped to 273 all out in their first innings on Friday.Live Streaming India vs England 4th Test Day 3: When and where to watch IND v ENG Test match?At 142-2 India were well-placed to build a healthy first innings lead having bowled England out for 246 but Sam Curran took the vital wicket of Virat Kohli before off spinner Ali ripped through the middle order with a stunning spell.advertisementIndia still eeked out a precious 27-run lead though thanks to number three Cheteshwar Pujara who scored his first Test century in England, ending on a magnificent 132 not out.The hosts, looking to wrap up a series win, survived a tricky three-over spell before stumps to reach 6-0 with Alastair Cook on two and Keaton Jennings on four.A composed Pujara came to the crease in the eighth over of India’s innings and batted superbly, sharing a 92-run partnership with Kohli before putting on 78 for the last two wickets with tailenders Ishant Sharma and Jasprit Bumrah.India trail the five-Test series 2-1 and need to win to keep alive their hopes of a series victory.(With inputs from Reuters)last_img read more

first_imgCoach Cal whispering something into Tyler Ulis' ear.LAWRENCE, KS – JANUARY 30: Head coach John Calipari of the Kentucky Wildcats talks with Tyler Ulis #3 during the final minutes of overtime in the game against the Kansas Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse on January 30, 2016 in Lawrence, Kansas. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)Kentucky had little difficulty getting past Tennessee Tuesday night. After a close first half, the Wildcats (26-0, 13-0 SEC) blew by the Volunteers (14-11, 6-7 SEC) in the final 20 minutes, winning, 66-48. The blowout victory did not come without some physicality, though. Kentucky freshman guard Tyler Ulis appeared to take a hard shot to the face from a Tennessee guard in the first half. Check out this play: Did anyone see this except @BraxtonDsnyder? pic.twitter.com/BdzD94RdK0— Aaron’s Right Shoe (@AaronsRightShoe) February 18, 2015Was it a punch? A shove? Just incidental contact? It’s tough to tell. Whatever it was, it’s something you usually see a foul called for, and there was no whistle blown last night. [KSR]last_img read more

first_imgREGINA – A clinical psychologist says a young man who killed his teenage girlfriend when he was 16 does not meet the criteria for psychopathy.Hannah Leflar was also 16 when she was repeatedly stabbed with a hunting knife in her Regina home in January 2015.The Crown is seeking an adult sentence for her killer, now 19, who pleaded guilty to first-degree murder.Dr. Terry Nicholaichuk, who met with the youth three times and wrote two reports, appeared for the defence at the stabber’s sentencing hearing.He told court the teen meets some of the criteria for borderline personality disorder and probably has a major depressive disorder.Last week, during the Crown’s presentation, a psychiatrist testified that the teen showed psychopathic tendencies and has anger management issues.It also heard from a girl who became friends with the youth. She tearfully testified that he told her months before the stabbing that he wanted to become a serial killer and do away with his former girlfriend.Online messages also talked about hurting Leflar.Court was told earlier this week that the teen has spent more than two years at the Paul Dojack Youth Centre where he was bullied throughout most of his first year there.The centre’s deputy director testified the youth often talked of self-harm, although there is only one documented instance.He also said the young man has been more engaged in recent months, was awarded a most-improved education certificate and has changed some of his behaviour, although he remains isolated and engages in lone activities such as video games.An agreed statement of facts says the youth stalked Leflar for months after she broke up with him and hatched a plan to attack her and her new boyfriend with bats and knives.That didn’t happen, largely because Leflar broke up with that boy, but when she posted about her latest relationship on Facebook, her old boyfriend murdered her.A second teen pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and is expected to be sentenced in September.(CTV Regina, The Canadian Press)last_img read more

first_imgKenney acknowledges that some Calgary-based companies that develop B.C. natural gas would not be happy with a toll, but he says the job of an Alberta premier is to defend the province’s economic future.Alberta Premier Rachel Notley banned B.C. wines in response to its proposal to limit diluted bitumen shipments, but she lifted the ban after Premier John Horgan said he would ask the courts to decide whether it can bring in the restrictions.Kenney also clarified his stance on supervised drug consumption sites, saying the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that governments are obligated to license such facilities.(THE CANADIAN PRESS) VANCOUVER, B.C. – Alberta’s Opposition leader says if he becomes premier there will be “serious consequences” for British Columbia if it blocks the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.Jason Kenney says he would be prepared to stop permits for the shipment of Alberta oil through the Trans Mountain pipeline, and place a toll on shipments of natural gas from B.C. through Alberta.The United Conservative Party leader made the comments to reporters in Vancouver today during a trip to B.C. to speak about the need for “environmentally responsible resource development.”last_img read more

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — Scientists with the Geological Survey of Canada have confirmed that at least two earthquakes have occurred in the B.C. Peace Region since late Sunday.Earlier Monday, Moose FM received several reports of earthquakes that had been felt by area residents in the past 24 hours. The first earthquake reportedly occurred near Rose Prairie on Monday afternoon, while the second occurred near Farmington early Tuesday morning.A map of all catalogued earthquakes in Western Canada, Alaska, and the Western United States in the past 30 days. Photo by Natural Resources Canada. Seismologist Dr. Honn Kao with the Survey’s Victoria office confirmed that seismometers picked up a number of seismic events that occurred in the region in the past several days below magnitude 4. He confirmed that a M2.8 tremor occurred at 4:25 Monday afternoon just 12 kilometres north-northeast of Fort St. John at a depth of only 4.7 kilometres. Another smaller but even shallower quake occurred 25 kilometres west-northwest of Dawson Creek at 7:21 p.m. Sunday. That quake had a magnitude of only 1.9, but a depth of only 3.3 kilometres.Dr. Kao did not confirmed the other quake that reportedly occurred at around 6:45 Tuesday morning near Farmington, but that seismologists are still poring over data. He explained that earthquakes smaller than magnitude 4.0 are usually too small to be automatically pinpointed by the network seismographs in the Peace Region, meaning scientists don’t usually analyze such data immediately unless those smaller earthquakes are felt. Dr. Kao said that the shallow depth of the two confirmed quakes meant that scientists have alerted the BC Oil and Gas Commission to investigate whether there was any oil and gas industry activity occurring in the vicinity at the time of the quakes. At this point, there’s no word from the OGC about whether there was any industry activity occurring at the time.A list and map of all catalogued earthquakes that have occurred in B.C. and Alberta in the past 30 days can be found here: http://www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/recent/maps-cartes/index-en.php?maptype=30d&CHIS_SZ=bcwalast_img read more

first_imgNEW DELHI: The star campaigners of Congress including its president Rahul Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, former prime minister Manmohan Singh and Shatrughan Sinha will blaze campaign trail for party candidates for Lok Sabha polls in Delhi. The party has drawn up a list of 40 senior leaders including Delhi Congress president Sheila Dikshit for the campaigning that will pick up pace in the coming days, according to party leaders.”We have sought permission of high command for a major road show of Rahul Gandhi or Priyanka Vadra, before May 6,” said a senior Delhi Congress leader. The Congress plans to hold a series of road shows of Gandhi siblings and other prominent leaders, rather than organising a big public rally, party insiders said.last_img read more

first_imgGerman manager Jürgen Klopp came out and blamed himself for not explaining to his Liverpool players that they can’t run too long with the ball.In what was considered as one of the most important matches for Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool, the Reds visited San Paolo Stadium and got a painful defeat against Napoli with a late Lorenzo Insigne goal.The German manager was not happy with his attacking players after the match because he believed that they kept the ball during long periods of time, he wanted them to release it quicker than they actually did during the match.“Sometimes Bobby [Firmino] ran too long with the ball, or Sadio [Mane] ran too long. When that happens, you cannot produce. The midfielders or the full-backs tried to go forward, but we lost the ball and had to go back in the other direction. It was intense, but we caused the intensity of the game ourselves,” said Klopp after the match.“It was an interesting looking group before we started and it’s still interesting now. We want to play better than we did tonight, but even if we don’t play brilliantly, we want a result. Tonight we weren’t as good as we could be,” he added.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.But the Liverpool boss didn’t want to blame his attacking players completely, he also confessed that he has a great deal of responsibility for this result: “A big part of that performance is my fault. I need one night to watch the game again, but it looked not like it should have looked.”Jürgen Klopp admitted #LFC’s performance was not good enough after watching his side lose 1-0 to Napoli. https://t.co/ghfYYqj7xR— Liverpool FC (@LFC) October 3, 2018last_img read more