first_imgSteve WebbGoing with the first option would be unusual, said Webb, adding that because of the government’s majority (80) in the House of Commons, “it can be confident of winning most votes in the Commons, especially on relatively technical matters, so it may be tempted to reject all amendments at this stage”.Peers would then have to decide whether to vote against the government a second time, or to give some ground on some of the issues, he said.Altmann said she hoped the government would not try to reverse any of the changes to the bill introduced by peers on Tuesday night.To read the digital edition of IPE’s latest magazine click here. Ros AltmannIn his reaction to this week’s vote, Steve Webb, pensions minister in the 2010-15 coalition government and now a partner at actuarial consultancy LCP, honed in on the extent of the government defeats.“It is unusual for the government to be defeated so many times on what has until now been seen largely as a non-controversial piece of legislation,” he said. “This suggested that they have misjudged the mood on some of these issues and have failed to listen.”Asked about his views on the substance of the defeat-representing amendments, he told IPE he very much supported the spirit of the amendment on open DB schemes.Other amendments passed by peers on Tuesday night, in defeats for the government, relate to pension dashboards and new collective defined contribution (CDC) pensions.Altmann said the amendments would “make further improvements to the new pensions landscape”.With regard to the dashboard, peers voted that any commercial dashboards should not be allowed to enter the market until a publicly run dashboard had been operational for a year, and that dashboards should not be allowed to carry out transactions – the transfer or consolidation of funds.On CDC, the amendment that was introduced on Tuesday night would require that trustees of such schemes report on the fairness of the scheme to all members.LCP’s Webb told IPE he thought it was right that dashboards not have transaction capability, but that he was “less convinced” about the other dashboard-related amendment.“It’s the private sector that will innovate with modelling tools etc., and if they are going to be allowed at all, it seems odd to make them wait,” he said.And on the CDC amendment, he said he doubted it would make much difference as trustees had to have regard to the interests of all scheme members in any case.What next?When the House of Lords completes its consideration of the draft occupational pensions legislation it will pass to MPs in the House of Commons, who will consider the bill line-by-line.According to Webb, for each defeat, the government will have three options:Accept the amendments in full;Offer an alternative amendment that would seek to address some of the issues of concern; orReject the amendments and send the bill back to the Lords unamended. “Unlike schemes which have already closed, some of these largest schemes, with millions of members still paying contributions, have plenty of money coming in each year, which, together with the returns on their investments, do not pose the threat of insolvency or illiquidity which apply to closed schemes which are shrinking over time,” said Altmann.center_img The House of Lords voted in favour of a separate regulatory approach being taken to open defined benefit (DB) schemes in one of four government defeats on provisions in the Pension Schemes Bill on Tuesday night.According to commentators, the passing of the amendment related to open DC schemes addressed the risk they would be forced to de-risk prematurely, increasing costs and leading to more closures.Ros Altmann, former pensions minister under the Conservative government from 2015 until 2016, said the original wording of the Bill contained risks that the pensions regulator might require open DB schemes – in the minority but of which over 1,000 remain – to sell higher-returning assets and switch to lower-return bonds.“Such an overly cautious approach would see pension contributions increase to unaffordable levels,” she said, giving the example of the Railways Pension Scheme or the Universities Superannuation Scheme as among many others that relied on long-term investment returns to help meet pension costs and grow their funds over time.last_img read more

first_imgHannah Jolynn Clark, age 2 years and 11 months, of Dillsboro, Indiana, passed away Thursday, August 3, 2017 at Children’s Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio.Hannah was born September 1, 2017 in Marion, OH to Zane and Jessica (Ward) Brady. Hannah was a typical little girl living life to the fullest, playing with all her friends and doing all the things little girls do. Her death is felt very deeply and she will be sadly missed.She is survived by her mom and dad; her siblings Kayden, Avery, Nevaeh and Zoey; her Grandma and Grandpa Lawrence and Stacy Ward; Aunt Eby Brady and Uncle Ian Robling.A memorial service will be held Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 3pm in the Covered Bridge Park, right off Highway 1 in Guilford, IN.Meyers Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.last_img read more

first_imgORVC Weekly Report (December 17 – January 5)Players of the Week.Girls Basketball: Mariah Day – Jac-Cen-DelBoys Basketball: Matthew Williams – SouthwesternORVC Report(December 17-January 5)2018-19Courtesy of ORVC Recorder Travis Calvert.last_img

first_imgRowing, Canoeing and Sailing Sports Coaches drawn from across the country are currently in the classrooms where they spent the Christmas holidays receiving tutorials for the second face of the Nigeria Rowing, Canoeing and sailing Federation’s NOC/IOC Solidarity Coaching course holding at the Naval Sailing Club, Ojo, Lagos.The programme began on 23, December 2016 and will last till December 30, 2016 and was packaged by the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) in conjunction with the International Olympic(IOC), the course which is being conducted by Rachel Davis, an expert from Canada is a follow up to the first phase held in April this year as facilitated by Sallie Malt from the United Kingdom who was accompanied by two other UK water experts to scout out conducive places for the development of Nigeria water sports. Commenting on the initiative, President NOC, Habu Gumel, who was represented by the Secretary General, Babatunde Popoola said the ongoing course is part of the NOC’s pre-arranged “Train the Trainers programme aimed at repositioning Nigerian sports for good.Adding that the present administration of the NOC under the leadership of Gumel is determined to take Nigeria’s sports to greater heights, hence the quick follow up of the Rowing, Canoeing and Sailing Sports coaching Course.Drawn from across the country, the 10 beneficiaries who are attending having passed the first course include, Olagunju Adebola Sunday, Egbele Babajide Omoh, Oshikolu Oreoluwa, Aweh Dennis Simon, Showetan Olalekan, Taibu Adebayo Ahmed, College Emmanuel, Ajao Ayo Adeyinka, Ogunbiyi Ayo Olaide and Momodu Ayo who is attending as an observer completes the list if attendees.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

first_imgHis way to an 11th title in the Spanish city is blocked by 19-year-old Tsistipas, who has yet to drop a set at the tournament and is the youngest Barcelona finalist since Nadal in 2005.After defeating world number seven Dominic Thiem on Friday, he served five aces and won 78% of first serves to see off his Spanish rival in one hour 35 minutes.Whatever the result of today’s final, he will become the first Greek player to break into the world’s top 50 when the latest men’s rankings are released tomorrow.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Rafael Nadal will face Greek teenager Stefanos Tsitsipas in today’s Barcelona Open final after claiming his 400th career clay court victory. The Spaniard defeated world number 10 David Goffin of Belgium 6-4 6-0.But Tsitsipas, the world number 63, continued the most successful week of his career, beating Spanish fifth seed Pablo Carreno Busta 7-5 6-3. He becomes the first Greek player to reach an ATP Tour final since Nicholas Kalogeropoulos in Des Moines in 1973.Nadal, who was coming into the game on the back of 17 consecutive clay court victories and 42 consecutive sets, lost his first service game to the Belgian, but quickly broke back to recover his composure and he went on to ease to victory.last_img read more

first_img‘Messi. In individual terms, he was the best this year.’ said Mbappe when recently asked by German publication Der Spiegel who he thought would win the award.An early indication of how the awards could pan out came in September, when Messi competed against Van Dijk and old foe Cristiano Ronaldo for the FIFA Best Men’s Player award.Kylian Mbappe feels Messi has done enough to go on and win the prestigious awardAfter taking Holland to the final of the Nations League, Van Dijk was again tipped to win the trophy, only for Messi to be declared the victor.The Ballon d’Or will be contested on Monday, December 2, during a glitzy ceremony in Paris.A total of 15 Premier League players take positions on the final 30-man shortlist, in what is the most dominant offering from English football in the history of the awards.Liverpool have seven players up for the gong including Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Georginio Wijnaldum, along with Van Dijk.Goalkeeper Alisson Becker is also nominated for the Ballon d’Or, along with a separate tip for the Yachine Trophy which celebrates the best stopper in the sport.Manchester City have Raheem Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Sergio Aguero, Kevin De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez up for the award, while Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is in contention along with Tottenham duo Hugo Lloris and Son Heung-min.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Kylian Mbappe believes Lionel Messi will once again win the Ballon d’Or award this year and claim the prestigious honour for a record sixth time.Mbappe, a fellow shortlist nominee for the honour, feels Messi has done enough in the last 12 months to distinguish himself from the rest of the chasing pack.Liverpool’s Champions League-winning defender Virgil van Dijk currently stands as a marginal favourite, with Messi breathing down his neck after a solid season with Barcelona.last_img read more

first_imgHe had wheelspin out of the final corner starting the lap, then ran wide out of Turn Seven, bouncing over the kerbs on the exit. And then he ran wide again at Turns 12 and 13.By the time he did his second run, the track was slower, partly because of the gravel that Hamilton himself had deposited on the track in the final sector, and none of the top four improved.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Valtteri Bottas beat Lewis Hamilton to take his third pole position in a row and lead a Mercedes one-two in qualifying at the Spanish Grand Prix. The Finn was 0.634 seconds ahead of Hamilton, who made a series of errors on his first lap before a slower track meant an improvement was impossible on the next.Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel was third with an 0.866secs gap to Bottas. Red Bull’s Max Verstappen was fourth, ahead of Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc.Bottas, who leads Hamilton in the championship by one point, set a superb one minute 15.406 seconds on his first run in final qualifying, while Hamilton had a mistake-strewn run.last_img read more

first_imgStephen ‘DJ Jabba’ Beckford Steven “DJ Jabba” Beckford, co-founder and co-promoter of the annual Best Of The Best show, admits its reputation took a hit this year.The event was called off by police at approximately midnight Sunday, leaving thousands of angry fans streaming out of Bayfront Park in downtown Miami.Headliner Mavado, who many had come to see, was unable to perform even though his band had set up on stage.Mavada…was unable to perform at Best of the Best after police called for an end to proceedings“Of course it hurts. Is five years Mavado don’t perform at Best Of The Best an’ people come to see him…dem mus’ upset,” said Jabba.He blamed the lengthy performances of some artists including Dexta Daps for the confusion that ensued in the show’s latter stages.Jabba said the singjay refused to leave his hotel unless he was paid the rest of his show fee, as well as ten additional entry passes and $1000 he claimed Jabba owed him from the Love And Harmony Cruise in February/March.Dexta Daps…refused to leave hotel until he was paid in full“I told him we don’t pay people at an hotel, dat’s not how we work. I gave him everything ‘cause I had no choice, I was under pressure…We had 18,000 people in the park,” he explained.Dexta Daps eventually launched his set at 11:15, performing for 35 minutes.After Mavado’s band finished setting up, the authorities ordered an end to proceedings.Caribbean National Weekly reached out to Dexta Daps for his side of the story. His management promised to speak to media this week.Diverse cast for Best Of The Bestlast_img read more

first_imgMagician of Amsterdam— Daniel Danso (@DanielD98644564) August 18, 2020 BEAST— robert stougie (@StougieRobert) August 18, 2020 Verry good first match! I am fan!— Rs (@IluvAjax) August 19, 2020 Hard working and VERY skilled. Have big expectations now. Damn he’s 19.— Arno Engelhardt (@rno_angel) August 18, 2020center_img New Ajax signing Mohammed Kudus is quickly gaining the attention of Ajax fans after his impressive debut in the team’s preseason friendly against AC Wolfsberger on Tuesday.Kudus joined Ajax on a five-year deal from FC Nordsjaelland for 9 million Euros last month.The Ghanaian International who waited weeks to make his debut wasted no time in showing what he was made of after coming off the bench in the second half.Kudus who played a part in the team’s second goal displayed skills and potential which have got Ajax fans buzzing.The fans took to the Clubs’ official twitter handle to express their excitement after the 20 year old’s performance. Best man on the pitch today— Stan (@Standoodeman) August 18, 2020last_img read more

first_imgChristian Atsu is handed his second start at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana’s final Group B match against Niger on Monday.The midfielder is just the only change for coach Kwesi Appiah from the previous game as the Black Stars push for qualification to the quarter-finals.Atsu replaces the suspended Mubarak Wakaso for the game which will kick off at 19:00 (17:00GMT) at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth.A win for the Black Stars will see them finish top in the group and extend their stay in Port Elizabeth for the quarter-finals.Ghana line up:Goal KeeperDefenders John Paintsil, Harrison Afful, John Boye, Isaac Vorsah.MidfieldersRabiu Mohammed, Albert Adomah, Agyemang Badu, Christian Atsu, Kwadwo Asamoah.AttackerAsamoah Gyanlast_img read more